Congratulations to all of our student-athletes that represented the Eagles in the 2nd Annual NOHS Winter ESPY Awards. The purpose of bringing a post-season voted award to NOHS is to create more of a familiarity between the student-athletes, the community, and our athletic department.
The winter season ESPY Awards generated over 400,000 votes! The Athletic Department would like to give a big thanks to the students, staff, parents, and the entire North Olmsted community for making the NOHS ESPY event a success. Also a big thanks to M.A.Q. for sponsoring the ESPY awards.
ESPY VOTING SPONSORED BY:
Each winner will receive a beautiful ESPY pin supplied by the Eagle Boosters:
2017-18 Winter ESPY winners – * Because of VNN website voting issues during the winter ESPY contest, the first two top voted nominees in each individual category will receive an ESPY award and be eligible for the end of the year contest.
The 2017-18 ESPY for Male Student-Athletes of the winter season will be shared by Matt Hull and Jon Kramer.
- Matt Hull (Bowling) – Senior Matt Hull had a 210 pin average in the North Shore Bowling League this season. Matt’s strong season helped the Eagles to a second place finish in the NSBL, an SWC Championship, and an OHSAA District Championship. Matt’s high game of 269 took place at the OHSAA Sectionals and Matt was the Sectional Champion. Matt also received 1st Team All SWC honors this past season.
- Jon Kramer (Basketball) – The 2-year varsity letterman was one of the Eagles top players this season. Jon was one of the team leaders in 3 pointers made. Jon’s top point total on the season was 13 points vs Avon as well as Olmsted Falls. Jon also received Honorable Mention All SWC this past season.
The 2017-18 Female Student-Athlete of the winter season was awarded to Eagle swimmer Hannah Wenger and Eagle gymnast Shannon Winchester.
- Hannah Wenger (Swimming) – Junior swimmer that was near the top in terms of points scored this past season. Hannah placed at the SWC in the 500 meter freestyle meet to earn herself an Honorable Mention All SWC award. Hannah is second from the left in the picture below and is pictured with Eagle swimming teammates Supreet, Paula, and Nataly.
- Shannon Winchester (Gymnastics) – Sophomore gymnast for the Eagles. Shannon was an OHSAA District qualifier on the beam. Shannon had a season best 9.0 score on the beam at the sectional competition.
The 2017-18 Male Breakthrough Student-Athlete of the winter season was won by sophomore basketball standout Jared Strong and Junior bowler George Trapletti.
- Jared Strong (Basketball) – Sophomore guard who earned his first varsity letter for the Eagle basketball team. Jared averaged 8 points for the Eagles this past season and scored a career high 23 points vs Midview.
- George Trapletti (Bowling) – Junior letterman and huge contributor for the SWC Championship and OHSAA Sectional Champion Eagle bowling team. George posted a 201 average in the NSBL this past season and recorded a high game of 263. George also received Honorable Mention All SWC this past season. George is on the right in the picture below. Joey Hardin and Coach Hart are also in the photo.
The 2017-18 Female Breakthrough Student-Athlete of the winter season was Eagle dance team member Mary Grace Casedonte and Junior Bowler Hannah Groden.
- Mary Grace Casedonte (Eaglet Dance) – Skilled and confident sophomore dancer for our Eaglet Dance Team. With help from her teammates, Mary Grace developed the Dance Evolution routine this past season.
- Hannah Groden (Bowling) – Junior bowler earned her 3rd letter for the sectional champion Eagles. Hannah had a season best 220 game in league play and had a 163 average on the season. Hannah also received 2nd Team All SWC honors this past season.
The 2017-18 Team of the winter season was the lady Eagle bowling team. The ladies accumulated over 3,000 votes.
- Girls Bowling – Had one of their best season’s finishing as co-champions in the North Shore Bowling Conference with a record of 15-1. They placed 1st at the OHSAA Sectional Tournament to become OHSAA District Tournament qualifiers and placed 2nd at the SWC Bowling Championship.
The NOHS Eagle hockey team finished 2nd in the voting with over 700 votes.
Congratulations to all of the Winter Season winners!
The winter ESPY winners will join the fall and spring ESPY winners at the end of the school year for a final vote.
- Male Student-Athlete: The 2017 Male Student-Athlete of the Fall season was junior boy’s golfer Matt Olah.
- Female Student-Athlete: The 2017 Female Student-Athlete of the Fall season was shared by Eagle golfer Kaitlyn Kwiat and Eagle soccer player Mikayla Rollins.
- Male Breakthrough Athlete: The 2017 Male Breakthrough Student-Athlete of the Fall season was cross country athlete Owen Conway.
- Female Breakthrough Athlete: The 2017 Female Breakthrough Student-Athlete of the Fall season was soccer player Taylor Weppler.
- Team: The 2017 Team of the Fall season was the Eaglet Flag Team.
For a full story of all the fall nominees, visit https://northolmstedathletics.org/wp-admin/post.php?post=16817&action=edit